Thursday, July 25, 2013

Grown Up Choices


The Future is sometimes scary to think about. Especially when it's just about time to fly the nest and strike out on your own. It is exciting and thrilling, but you never know quite what to expect. You can never know for certain that what you are planning for your future will succeed. Nevertheless, we plan, dream and hope for the best.

Young people that finish High School in my area go on to hundreds of different occupations and lives, I could not possibly describe them all. I personally know people that want to be marine biologists, engineers, international business people, politicians, nurses, doctors, pharmacists, photographers, linguists, architects, authors, and even a missionary elementary teacher in Africa. I know some people that don’t want to go to college, and are perfectly happy to go straight into the workforce after high school. I know people that went to college, dropped out, and are now going back to school and working at the same time.

For those that do go on to a higher education, there are a seemingly infinite supply of Universities and Colleges to choose from in the US. There are of course the Ivy Leagues and other famous Universities that have gained much renown over the years, and anybody could recognize their names. There are also local community colleges, state Universities, private Universities, Liberal Arts Colleges, and many more. What we all try to do is find a list of places that are good at teaching what you want to study, are on your intellectual level, and you like to be there. That last one is very important for those that plan on all four years of undergraduate college. There are places in cities, in rural areas, big campuses, small campuses, and many other factors.

Then there is the whole messy business of worrying over ACT and SAT scores, GPA, extra-curricular  applying and essays, freaking out over cost and scholarships and financial aid, being accepted into hopefully AT LEAST one college, then deciding on which one to go to that has accepted you, figuring out which classes to take and then moving into a dorm. Most of that goes on while trying to graduate from high school. I really don’t know how I’m going to survive that.

In my last post, I told readers about part of my summer college search, but neglected to mention my future ambitions with an occupation. At the moment I plan to major in Anthropology and Art History in undergraduate. My life’s goal had been to get a doctorate, but the problem presenting itself at the moment is that too many subjects interest me! Who knows, maybe I’ll get more than one degree! For now Anthropology seems a good topic to learn a lot of stuff (It IS the study of the human race after all!), and Art is one of the most constant interests of my life.

We shall see! Here’s to the Future!


Maggie
Fairhope, AL
USA

1 comment:

  1. Love all of the updates! Very interesting to find out what young people in other countries are planning after high school.

    ReplyDelete