Saturday, August 24, 2013

Uttarakhand Relief Fund


After reading the Prime Minster’s appeal to raise funds to support the Uttrakhand flood victims in the newspaper, I was inspired to take the initiative to do my own bit.

I approached my family, friends, and my father’s business colleagues to provide monetary aid to the victims. I did this by writing a short appeal which contained information about the victims, the death toll, the present situation and problems over there which needed immediate attention. This appeal was presented to each donor and the donors were then asked for any amount of donation that they wished to donate. After visiting about 25 different donors over a period of 3 days, I was able to raise a total of Rs. 35,000. Immediately after the donations were collected, I went to the bank with my father to deposit the amount into the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF). For accountability, each of the donors was provided with a receipt of the donated funds afterwards.

Having never done such a thing earlier, I felt satisfied like never before. This act would not have been possible without the support of my parents, who urged me to take up this initiative, and the donors, without whom the aid could not have been provided.

Shivanshu Gupta
Gurgaon, NCR
India

No comments:

Post a Comment