Friday, May 10, 2013

Communities

When I moved to Switzerland this summer, I of course knew it'd be different from Germany. Even though you might think the difference can't be that big, neighbourhood countries, same language, although this would be the first thing I'd like to point out. 

When I skyped with Maggie the other day, I promised her to write an article about the weird Swiss people. And honestly, I can keep my word. Look at their language- an average German person can't unterstand Swiss German. Look, Swiss Italian is fine. Swiss French, too. But Swiss German? No way. And believe me, Swiss people actually think they don't have anything in common with German language. I don't even know… 

In other terms, it's also quite different here then in Germany. They don't get German jokes (which was quite strange in the beginning) and their highway speed limit is 120kmh/h- while in Germany you have none at all at some parts of the highway.

I sound so evil. Switzerland isn't bad. They've many nice people here and I've found many friends here. Also, the fact that I go to an international school gives one the chance to get to know many people from many different countries, cultures and religions. This is completely different from what I've had in Germany as there it was a German school only. Of course, it doesn't save you from all prejudices, but it helps a lot. Also, it helps to find yourself- kind of. In Germany, everyone has seen me as something in between German and Russian (perks of being bilingual) and here it's just normal. People accept I'm only Russian with German ideas. They don't judge you because the community is international and everyone has friends from somewhere. You don't have the "one way" view people in my old school often have had. 

But then, I'm speaking of International Schools. I'm pretty sure (and I know it's that way) that for Swiss people it's not that easy to accept foreigners. It's a proud nation and I don't have anything against it. I barely get in touch with this and I'm glad about it to be honest. It's just good to be in this community where you're what you're and you don't get judged by nationality. 


 Natalia
 Zugerberg 
 Switzerland

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalia, I am interested in your feelings about prejudice in your country. So is it thought that Swiss are prejudice against Germans in general like it is believed that Caucasians here in the US are prejudice against minorities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! :) Thanks for your reply Lorrie!

    It's true- like I think with every minority in every country. Swiss people are very proud and I think they see Germans as opressors - also the language here plays an important role, as national identity is very important to Switzerland.
    So yeah, they don't really like Germans- but Germans also don't like Swiss people THAT much :p But it's fine.
    Where are you from?

    Natalia x

    ReplyDelete